Saturday 7 March 2009

Another candle on the cake

Yes indeed, I can't believe another year has flown by already. And what a year. Thinking back to my last birthday, where I was and where (I thought) I was going, I can't believe all that's changed.

As well as my third Facebook birthday, this is also my third ORR birthday. It's hilarious now to think back to '07, celebrating with a bunch of strangers who would become my family and closest friends. (I'm talking about ORR now, not Facebook!) To think of everything we've gone through together -- those first four months of camping in this house, no beds or table or vehicle -- is, well, heartwarming. Even now, with three newer members, the family is even tighter.

More and more I feel at home: every day this life becomes less a sacrifice, more a blessing. Things that used to drain me now fuel me; annoyances have become delights; all around me are faces I know -- more in this city of over a million than the last time I went 'home' to Huntsville! My Liberian english is no longer just impersonation and imitation, but rooted now in real understanding.

Don't worry, I'm not here for good. But for now, this is perfect. Despite how much I miss so many, I'm dumbstruck most days as I open my journal under the mango tree; so grateful for so rich a life as this.

Thanks for your wonderful birthday wishes and your enduring support and encouragement--I couldn't do this without you all.

No comments: