Sunday 26 April 2009

Lowest of the low v. The least of these

"Why did you bring us here?! These people don't have any money--why'd you bring us here?!"

This is what the one armed robber said to the other as they tore up an orphanage just a couple of days ago, threatening the matron and older kids. The matron's reply: she chastised them boldly like boys:

"What kind of place do you think I'm running here? I sell cool water. Maybe I make a thousand a day [US$15]. I put 600 in the generator and 200 for plastic bags. You want the other two hundred?! Take it!"

That's about three bucks. Who steals three dollars from orphans?

It's tempting to say, That's Africa. It's tempting to think Liberia's sliding backward. At least that this generation is seriously messed up. But I think it's (sadly) a little more universal than that -- that the most vulnerable people are robbed or abused or forgotten on a daily basis, no matter the country.

The important thing is, everyone's okay, no one got hurt. And I hope that word goes around the criminal community that--surprise!--orphanages aren't a good take.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

ARGH!!! That ticks me off.

But, the last words remind me that possibly the world NOT helping is just as bad as stealing from them.

Bran

Stories Under The Net said...

I know this is an old post. But lets be friends on here too.